Sunday, June 29, 2014

Redefining home

I've been in the foreign service for 3 years and living abroad for 2 years. My concept of home has changed considerably.

When a friend found out I was back in the States she texted me asking "How long have you been at home?"

My first thought was "I'm not at home."

But not wanting to get all deep on her and knowing what she meant I texted her back how long I've been on home leave.

So, what is home now?  It's not my mom's home in North Carolina.  That's hers.  My room there is fabulous but it's not my home. It's not my dad's home in California.  I know his door is always open but it's still his door (and home).

My home has become defined by two things:
1) where the bulk of my stuff is
2) where I can be hospitable to the best of my ability (whether by hosting guests or inviting friends to spend the night at a moment's notice.)

By that definition my last home was in Benin.  My new home will be here in Monrovia.

So, why is home so important?   The less stable it is, structurally or location-wise, the more important it becomes.

I can't begin to imagine what it's like for refugees or, in Liberia, a more complex population of ex-combatants, warlords and child soldiers and their families.  In Monrovia, many of them are concentrated in an area called Westpoint, an area less than a mile from where I live on United Nations Drive.  I walked near there my 2nd weekend in Monrovia.


For a quick read, check out an informative article on Westpoint, Holidays in the Slum

Hard to read?  Yes.  True: Yup. A point for prayer?  Absolutely!!!

For me home is particularly important.  When I reread my first posting I saw a common thread.  The frustrations of my first week hit home because, well, they hit my home!  I describe myself as a nester. Whether I'm in a place for 2 days or 3 years I like to arrange my environment for comfort and coziness.

So I am looking forward to settling in my new home here.  I am already praying about a new project involving the home.  New but probably not too surprising for many of you.  Though you may not know what it is, I invite you to join me in praying for God's guidance in doing it in His perfect timing and for wisdom in preparing my home for it.

Exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment