Sunday, June 22, 2014

My Rickety Background: The Essence of Monrovia


So I set up my blog in  hurry.  The antique living room background struck a chord.  I thought "this has something to do with Liberia." I just wasn't quite sure how at that point.

Now as I look at it there's something about the imperfections, humanity, and history so evident in everything and yet the modern functionality.  It all comes together to form a lovely picture.  That is my background.  That is Liberia.


Over the past weeks I've had the opportunity to see many sides of the city:
- lush Old Embassy Compound
- makeshift housing built by upcountry refugees from the war
- downtown Monrovia
- Favela-like neighborhoods between the paved roads of Monrovia
- markets and supermarkets throughout Monrovia
- New Embassy Compound
- a school in a rural town
- my temporary home
- government buildings destroyed during the war
- young men playing soccer in the street
- children playing hopscotch

Some of it has been beautiful to behold. Some of quite gross.  Whether or not there is a home in Liberia that looks like this, the essence of my blog's background image reminds me so much of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment