Sunday, June 8, 2014

Is it really lovely?


Soon after I arrived I called Mama Brown to let her know I arrived safely.   So, there was "beautiful Benin" and now I've been calling my new home "lovely Liberia." After declaring I'd arrived, she asked "Is it really lovely?"

Part of it is true, part of it is faith.

It is lush but it is also rainy: metaphorically and literally.  And I arrived at the beginning of the rainy season, literally:)

Faith is defined as the substance of things HOPED FOR, the essence of things NOT SEEN.  So this country, by faith is going to be lovely, no matter what!! In Jesus' name!!  I say that so emphatically because my first few days have been an odd mixture:
  1. I arrived on Saturday.  My luggage did not.
  2. My luggage arrived on Tuesday but my brand new bag had only 3 wheels. 
  3. My exhaust fan malfunctioned.  My air conditioner broke.

4.  Two (out of 5) very necessary dehumidifiers started leaking. 
5.  I discovered quite a mold problem in my home: in 2 bathrooms, on the fridge and in the laundry room.
6.  I developed a sore throat on Sunday.  By Thursday I couldn't speak above a whisper. I blame the mold.

And Friday was my birthday! Wah!!

Ok.  Pity party aside, let me move on to the praise fest.


God is so good because:
  1. Before I even step foot in Liberia He assured me very directly in personal prayer time and a minister that He has positioned me in Liberia for a reason and to walk confidently and boldly. 
  2. He has given me immense favor with the Housing and Maintenance staff who have taken care of issue quickly, even the same day I reported it.  They even checked on stuff I didn't report.  One worker even washed my dishes while working here!
  3. I LOVE my new team and colleagues at the mission.  There are some quirks but they are still
    lovable. I even met someone to practice French with!
  4. My guards are all super nice. . .That's a mixed blessing;)
  5. There is a Zumba class twice a week walking distance from home!
  6. I have the opportunity to do an overnight site visit I LOVE site visits) this week
  7. I have a couple of promising churches to visit.
  8. I can walk to work, even in the rain.
  9. My sponsor is fabulous.  I didn't cook until Saturday evening due to all the food she bought me.
  10. I have praying friends to partner with me in ushering in God's will in my life and in this country.
Thank you Jesus!!!  Aside from the abundant greenery in Liberia, it reminds me a lot of Benin, even mores of the Caribbean.  Here are some pics of lovely Liberia:

Monrovia is on a peninsula so we're never far from the water

At the end of  3-mile walk through the city this Sunday




4 comments:

  1. Sure that's not Detroit?

    Hope your voice is recovering and I'm certain you're there or a reason too. Hope you have fun in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd need to got to Detroit to do a reasonable comparison. Any offers for an all-expenses paid trip to D-town:)? My voice is definitely coming back. Still a bit raspy but can communicate freely!!

      Delete
  2. It is 4:31AM on Friday morning I just read your blog and it is great. Thanks for the first impressions.
    So I need an update. How's your voice/throat? How's the mole problem. Got your E-mail and will get in touch to get necessary information. Everything here is going well. God's peace and blessings be yours. Don't understand the comment as. When I hit publish will you receive it as my yahoo account?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh. Weird. I think the system confused the Simones and my friend Simone K-B's comment my own. In any case, my voice is doing so much better. Now enjoying chatting with the new people I meet. Mold is all gone and the environment in my apt is so much better. Thanks for reading!!

      Delete