Thursday, September 17, 2015

Northern Cyprus: Antiquities and Modernities

It's been 4 months since my last post.  I am now on vacation.  After weeks of saying and thinking "I want to get back to blogging," I am inspired.   I hope it is worth the wait, informative and at the very least, pretty.

My trip to Cyprus was inspired by the desire to go somewhere else but close.  Getting a tourist visa to Benin was too complex.  I had an open invitation to Cyprus from a dear sister.  So Cyprus it was.  The reaction I got from folks as I mentioned Cyprus was the same: "Wow!  Cyprus?" 

"Yes, have you been there?" I'd reply.  Unfailingly they'd say "No, but I've heard about it."

Does it live up to the reputation it has in people's minds?  They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Below are pictures from the beginning of our journey to Famagusta and Salamis, both with antiquities dating back to 11th century BC:
On the wall surrounding the City of Famagusta. Church in background.

Abundant pomegranates at a fresh juice stand.  The juice: divine.

Beauty in brokenness.

Turkish delights.

Salamis Ruins: Columns surrounding the Gymnasium 

Salamis: One of several statues around the Pool

Salamis: Statue overlooking the Theatre
  

2 comments:

  1. Tanks for sharing with us your wonderful travel story! The area is considerably quieter than the Republic of Cyprus. Thus, I completely agree with you that Northern Cyprus is a great destination if you want to relax from a crowded city. The coastline of Northern Cyprus offers excellent swimming conditions, while the climate is perfect for sun-seekers like me ;)

    ReplyDelete