Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Shakin' in my sandals

My biggest issue living in Liberia during this Ebola crisis hasn’t been so much the threat of the illness. I don't think I'm really even afraid of death. That's another posting:)

Lesson #2: Living in a crisis situation is the ULTIMATE leadership challenge.

It’s the leadership I have to take in many areas that gives me shivers. It's really got me shakin' in my sandals.

At work I’m acting Education Team Leader working with a team to manage over $100 million in aid to the education sector in Liberia while representing the USAID Liberia mission in education. In the education sector I serve as the coordinating agency leading other agencies in coordinating education development efforts with the Ministry of Education of Liberia. Wow. Even as I write these words I get the sense that I’ve overwhelmed by it because that’s not what I’m supposed to do.

True confessions: I remember when I inherited a life group at Capital City Church around 2011 or 2012, I thought it was too much too soon. I felt like I hadn’t been groomed enough, mentored enough or mature enough. I just didn’t feel like I was fit for the position. Then the Lord gave me the revelation that it’s His group. He positioned me to be a facilitator of what He wants to do. Man did that take the load off. Once I saw myself as a facilitator, nothing was impossible. No perceived insufficiency on my part could hinder what He wanted to do.

So I feel Him comforting me with the same truth. While the position in the world’s eye is leadership, in God’s eyes, I’m still merely a facilitator of what He wants to do. And there is much to do.

Please join me in praying/declaring that:
  1. God releases his wisdom to leaders in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone to make decisions that set the nations up for QUICK recovery once the crisis is over. 
  2. I receive and act on a clear revelation of what He’s doing through my position.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Simone!
    Thanks for the "adjustment" ;-)
    You continue to be an inspiration in the way you deal with life events: seeking the positive and finding meaning in the most challenging situations. Merci!

    Des bises!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an honor to witness the work He's been doing WITH you since life group?! I smiled reading this post and thought of Psalms 75:6

    ReplyDelete